“Seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” (Col. 3:1-4)
Lust whispers lies to our hearts. It says, “I am your identity,” “I am your happiness,” “I am your fulfillment,” “I am your savior from boredom, emptiness, and loneliness.”
When we believe these lies, they contort our desires, so that we feel vacuous until we satisfy our lusts.
But Jesus is the truth, and frees us from lust’s lies.
That’s why we must preach truth to our souls when lust tempts us with false promises. Paul puts it this way, “Seek the things that are above, where Christ is.” When lust lifts its foul face, do not try hard to think about other things, instead meditate on the truth, Jesus Christ.
Paul explains two truths about our identity in Christ that counteract lust’s lies:
1. Lust claims that it is your identity.
Paul reminds that “you have died, and your life is … hidden with Christ.” Jesus died your death, so that you might receive his life. When God looks upon you, he sees Jesus. He is your true identity, not lust. Let that truth set fire to your heart. Look upon lust’s ugliness and say, “you are not my life!”
2. Lust claims that it is your happiness. But Paul reminds us that “when Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” Since Christ is our life, we confidently know that we will receive the treasure he alone deserves: the pleasure, peace, and satisfaction of God’s glory!
Spit upon the filthy cheapness of lust’s satisfaction, and turn to the truth, Jesus, so that you might catch a glimpse of the glory revealed on the cross. Let His love peel back the haze of worldliness, so that you might see the glorious grace, justice, mercy, and beauty of Jesus Christ.
see other Pull Up Your Pants posts:
- A Series on Battling Sexual Immorality (1)
- What is sexual immorality? (2)
- Only the Rescued (3)
- Dirty Lies We Love to Believe (4)
- Be Killing Sin or Sin Will Be Killing You (5)
- Stop Sniffing Your Vomit (6)
- Assured Christians Resist Lust (7)
- Replace Lust With Love (8)