The next Veritas Book Discussion is set for July 11, 12:30pm, in the prayer room at The Crossing. Why should you read this book, you ask? We all fear people. Perhaps you identify with one of the following:
1. Struggling with peer pressure.
2. Being over-committed. It’s hard to say no to people.
3. You “need” certain things from those close to you.
4. Self-esteem is a critical concern for you.
5. Jealousy of others.
6. People often make you angry or depressed.
7. You avoid people.
8. You feel good about yourself when you compare yourself to other people.
The list could go on and on, but these are some of the things Edward Welch, in his book ‘When People Are Big and God is Small,’ uses to uncover the fear of man in our lives. It’s a universal problem and one that we all struggle with, no matter what our personality type. “Fear of man is such a part of our human fabric that we should check for a pulse if someone denies it,” Welch says.
Instead of simply saying “love yourself more,” we need to search the Scripture to find a biblical response. Welch writes, “The most radical treatment for the fear of man is the fear of the Lord. God must be bigger to you than people are.”
Read with us as we study in this book how to overcome the fear of others in practical ways. You can pick it up in The Crossing’s bookstore for $12. Hope to see you there!