It is technology week on the blog. All week I am going to be putting up resources to help us think with discernment about the technology that floods our lives. The following is a speech given by Neil Postman pointing out 5 things we need to know about technological change.
Neil Postman: Five things we need to know about technological change.
John Dyer writes about each of Postman’s 5 things on his blog Don’t Eat the Fruit, a blog which considers, among other things, Christianity and technology. All of the resources I will be putting up this week are coming from Don’t Eat the Fruit.
Posts on Don’t Eat the Fruit:
1. Technology is always a trade-off.
2. Technology causes winners and losers.
3. Technology contains a powerful idea.
4. Technology is ecological, not additive.
5. Technology tends to become mythic.